This is probably one of the healthiest recipes coming from my kitchen to you. My husband and I usually try to kick off a new year with primarily vegetarian dinners and sugar-free snacks, so I added this dish to my meal plan. It was actually quite the hit, and it’ll be devoured again even when we aren’t on any sort of diet.
What you’ll need:
- half a head of cabbage, chopped small
- a couple diced tomatoes, or an 8 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- half a yellow onion, chopped small
- 1 cup of mixed vegetables (you can use a frozen medley, or whatever your favorite varieties are. I think I used carrots, celery and corn)
- 1/2 tsp each of oregano and basil
- 1-2 tbsp of lemon juice, to taste
- 4 cups vegetable stock
Throw the onion, garlic, oregano and tomato paste into a large pan with some salt and oil. Cook until the onions are translucent, but be sure not to burn the garlic. Add tomato and basil and saute for a couple more minutes.
Add the cabbage, vegetables, stock and some more salt and pepper to taste. Bring it to a boil, and simmer until the veggies are tender. Turn off the heat and stir in the lemon juice, some parsley and any other seasonings you want.